Monday, January 26, 2009

Writing to my MP and wow, the formidable Facebook group!

I want to write to my MP about the review, especially as she has expressed her support for home education, but I'm not sure what to ask her to do.

We presumably want to know why the closing date for responses is so soon (but will get a standard non-reply to that); and what the evidence base is for the allegations made. Anything else? All comments appreciated.

I see there's a thread about this on the Facebook group. Loads of ideas there, plus a link to Carlotta's letter to her MP.

Most interesting is a reply from one of the MPs, which includes the following:

I have investigated your concerns and you are correct that usually a consultation would last for 12 weeks.

However this 4 week consultation launched on the 20th of January is not the full consultation, it is only to gauge different parties' ideas that will be considered for the Government's proposals to be outlines in a report on Home Education to be launched in May.

Once the report has been launched with the Government's proposals it will then go out to a full 12 week consultation which the different groups can have their say on the proposals.

I have been informed by the Department for Children, Schools and Families that the consultation will be made available online in the same way that the current short consultation has been.


Looks like we're in for a busy year, then! (And, wouldn't you think they'd just tell us that, up front, on here, without people having to go through their MPs to find it out?)

I must confess I'm not really Facebook-oriented - I'm better with RSS feeds and emails that nudge me! - so don't check in all that often, but now that I look, I'm amazed at the scope and depth of the group's discussion board. I suspect there's more information there than I've got time to read. Makes fascinating reading though: I will have to dip in more frequently.

If anyone has blogged their review response and would like it to be added to my sidebar list, please let me know.

9 Comments:

Blogger Maire said...

It's certainly not peaceful now, thanks for all this it is very useful to have these issues flagged up, i am talking about your other posts as well.
I have put my and my husbands responses on my blog
http://maire-staffordshire.blogspot.com/

Please feel free to add to your sidebar.

11:28 am, January 26, 2009  
Blogger Gill said...

Thanks Maire, will do that now :-)

12:19 pm, January 26, 2009  
Blogger Riaz said...

I'm suffering from severe information overload at the moment so have yet to get round to taking action.

I will send a letter to my MP and respond to the six consultation questions. I have also joined the Facebook group.

2:08 pm, January 26, 2009  
Blogger Gill said...

I'm keeping my powder dry atm re: my MP. She has said she's willing to help, and I want to make really good use of that beyond just having a general whinge.

I'm waiting to see where the discussions about Adele's line of thinking go.

2:11 pm, January 26, 2009  
Blogger Tracy Oldfield said...

facebook has rss feeds, I have the status updates on my rss feed widget on my windows sidebar.

2:55 pm, January 26, 2009  
Blogger Gill said...

Thank you! I didn't realise that.

4:24 pm, January 26, 2009  
Blogger Gill said...

I can't find a feeds option on the group page..

4:28 pm, January 26, 2009  
Blogger Tracy Oldfield said...

On looking at the help pages it seems they only have feeds for personal stuff, ie status updates and application notifications. But enough people are posting stuff in their status update to serve as a aide memoire I think?

6:16 pm, January 26, 2009  
Blogger Gill said...

Thanks T :-)

11:35 am, February 01, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home