Friday, December 29, 2006

I do not think Saddam should be executed

... or anyone else, for that matter. The death penalty is actually something I feel really strongly about. I think it's supremely hypocritical to kill one person as 'punishment' for them killing other people.

Either we disagree with killing in principle and we don't sanction any killings at all, or we condone killing in principle in which case, let's just have a blood bath and have done with it. Except that's not going to do the population figures much good.

But we can't have it both ways.

It's a bad day when anyone gets killed for any reason at all, including Saddam - and all of his victims, of course.

I also think Tony Blair and George Bush are personally both treading on very unstable ground by not doing more to prevent this from happening.

*Saturday update*

But of course, they did it anyway. Does anyone engage their brains before making these decisions? Maybe I'm missing some really obvious bit of the logic process, I dunno.

7 Comments:

Blogger Rosie said...

O my God! that was quick! I'm shocked. That picture is shocking. It''s actually sad, I think. I don't agree with killing people either- it's not very civillised is it?

12:44 pm, December 30, 2006  
Blogger Gill said...

Yes, the picture is quite shocking isn't it? I really don't agree with the things he did, but nor do I think killing him solves anything. And he's not the only world leader responsible for people's deaths is he? :-(

The other thing was, within just a few hours of his execution thirty some Iraqis had already been killed by protest bombs, but these "ordinary" people's deaths seemed to get very little coverage by comparison.

1:08 pm, December 30, 2006  
Blogger Rosie said...

yes- it was bound to happen- I think this is the scariest thing in a long time. What has it achieved?

3:17 pm, December 30, 2006  
Blogger Gill said...

It just seems to have 'proved' (again) that losers are 'criminals' and victors are, of course, total innocents acting in everyone's best interests.

It just bugs me that they try to pretend it's about justice, when it's quite blatantly not.

4:35 pm, December 30, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ditto

7:26 pm, December 30, 2006  
Blogger Lindsey said...

So he got hanged for killing 148 Shias and Bush and Blair have the blood of 650,000 Iraqis (and counting) on their hands - staggering really. Tis all a bit cuckoo! *rolls eyes*

7:38 pm, December 30, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you see the CELL PHONE VIDEO OF SADDAM EXECUTION online?
http://youtubevideo.pbwiki.com/

6:22 pm, January 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home