Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Signs of success













You know you've done something right when your 17 year-old son comes to you for instructions in how to work an alarm clock. He's never needed one before and I'm so glad about this - they were the bane of my life when I was a child. No child should need to know how to work one, in my opinion. People should sleep until they naturally wake up, and go to sleep when they're tired. That's what natural body clocks are for. We should not be slaves to the economy and to our alarm clocks.

Yesterday we had this kind of a day:















- identifying birds and wild flowers. We think we might have some coal tits nesting around here, and we were trying to work out whether we've got fat hen or 'good king henry' growing in the field (about which, more here later, I hope.)

The cows escaped from the top field again and Tom had to fix the wall to try to prevent this - again. He took Lyddie up with him and they sat in the grass, enjoying the view.














Is this real living? It feels real. We get things done, slowly but surely. Sometimes I wonder whether we should be rushing about earning money instead, but life's not just about money, is it? In fact, I suspect it's not even about money.

These were the things that I wanted to teach my children.

6 Comments:

Blogger Allie said...

We have an eleven year old who is a big alarm clock fan. She likes to set hers so that she can be awake in time to lie in bed and watch tv!

12:32 pm, June 03, 2008  
Blogger Gill said...

ROFL! That's hilarious!

Oh well, look, I have nothing against autonomous alarm-clocking ;-)

12:37 pm, June 03, 2008  
Blogger Ruth said...

Our alarm clock is used so rarely the last time I had to set it I did it wrong and it went off the following day at 7.15 pm lol. I thought it was broken when it hadn't gone off in the morning.

4:23 pm, June 03, 2008  
Blogger Louise said...

Well I'm afraid I have to use alarm clocks. I have always needed them. If I don't set one I would rouse, sleep, rouse, sleep and carry on, then wake with a migraine becuase I haven't eaten. I seriously could sleep 15 hours a night or more! Often though, the act of setting one means I naturally awake before it goes off but I am trying to train myself to a 7.30 start. 8am is as early as I manage at the mo!!!!!!!!!

3:15 pm, June 06, 2008  
Blogger Gill said...

Ah, they have their place, obviously. I just prefer living without them.

10:39 am, June 07, 2008  
Blogger Louise said...

Lol Gill, so do I!!! My ideal holiday would be a couple of months where I can just sleep when I want - I reckon I could get into a rhythm then!!!!!

11:57 pm, June 08, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home