Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Family pulls together in crisis

Well, not exactly a crisis - just me being out of action for a few days, ill in bed. But Zara was away and the boys don't usually take a major part in the childrearing/home educating/ babysitting/ running the house kind of jobs, and I was a bit concerned that we might not manage.

But, "like the Royal Engineers", (as my Dad said, quite bizarrely..) they swung into action when needed. (Is that what Royal Engineers do..? I've never known any. Oh wait, maybe my Dad was one in his National Service. Hmm. Well, he didn't swing into action this time, though he did bring us some potatoes.)

The baby was fed, clothed, entertained and kept safe and relatively clean. When I finally surfaced last night I saw that dishes and clothes had been washed and dried, and there were maths workbooks out on the dining table. Impressive! They've done a great job and I'm very glad they had the time and the inclination to do it, otherwise I'd have been stuck - the downside to single parenting.

This morning I'm [half] joking that it's nice to see I'm finally dispensible and that I'll be off for that trek across the Andes any time now, then. Just as soon as I can keep some food down. Actually, I'm just working towards Lyddie's playdate this afternoon and hoping we get that far. I'm giving it as long as possible and eating porrige.. here's hoping I'm fit to drive the car by 3pm!

No more looking at a computer screen and trying to type though. It's not helping.

11 Comments:

Blogger Merry said...

So an improvement on the time i collapsed in bed and Amelie wrote all over the rented house in indelible red pen then? Mind you, F and M were only 4 and 2... bit young to be in full charge.

More power to the elbows of your men! (boys sounds wrong really, i had to delete it!)

8:42 am, April 29, 2008  
Blogger Lynn said...

Great team ;-))hope you feel better soon.xx

9:47 am, April 29, 2008  
Blogger Elaine said...

do hope you continue improving Gill x x x

7:15 pm, April 29, 2008  
Blogger Minnie said...

Aw.....them thar young men love their Mum and Sis and aren't afraid to show it:o)))

Hope you feel better very soon. xx

8:00 pm, April 29, 2008  
Blogger Minnie said...

Sisters, I mean:o))

8:02 pm, April 29, 2008  
Blogger Gill said...

LOL Merry - yes! I well remember some hair-raising times of being ill when the teens were tinies too, come to think of it. It's not really a single parent issue, is it? Unless you have a partner who can take time out to take over at home. This is when we really need our tribes, IMO. Smaller units have no safety nets!

Thanks Lynn, Elaine and Min. We made the playdate! And we're off to home ed meeting this morning. Phew! I didn't want to miss that. Have stared at screen for 10 minutes now without headache, so it's looking good so far! :-)

7:34 am, April 30, 2008  
Blogger Ruth said...

Glad you are feeling better :)

4:36 pm, April 30, 2008  
Blogger Allie said...

Hope you're continuing to get better.

12:37 am, May 01, 2008  
Blogger 'EF' said...

I remember v edgy times when I was ill with killer flu and mum (and sole adult in family) to teenies...argh! Writing over walls just part of it, and the smoke damage the landlady made sure I paid for (to the tune of 400 quids).

You are blessed with your teenage sons :) x

EF x

efdiary.wordpress.com

6:49 pm, May 01, 2008  
Blogger Shirl said...

Some very weird bugs about at the moment. We've just had a headachey, feeling sick, dizzy, type of bug - 3 cheers for your boys and I hope you are feeling much better now ... :0)

1:29 pm, May 05, 2008  
Blogger Gill said...

Thanks all :-)

7:23 am, May 08, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home