Friday, February 01, 2008

Vegetables, seasonal and otherwise

A couple of conversations to recount, which have happened here today.

I was chatting to Ali earlier. Tired out, been cleaning, shopping, painting all day and was therefore in 'open your mouth and random words come out' mode.

He said, "Nobody's eaten these spare chips?"

And I said: "No, you have them if you want. I need to eat something healthier. Vegetables. The older I get, the more I realise I really am what I eat."

So of course he comes back with: "A vegetable?" without even skipping a beat.

Ah, the truest ones are the funniest!

The other one was a home ed moment with Lyddie, in and amongst all the chaotic rushing-around, trying-to-get-everything-done.

We were in the supermarket and she asked for fruit, so we picked up a little punnet of assorted stuff. She eyed the big strawberries and said: "I'd really like some strawberries, but I know they're too expensive."

And I told her, "I'll be happy to buy them when they're in season."

And she said: "Ok," but I could just tell from her face that she didn't know what I meant, so I asked if she wanted me to explain and she did, so I did.

Have you ever tried explaining the concept of vegetables 'in season' to a five year-old? Everything I said led to an explanation about something else! The conversation lasted for the rest of the shopping trip.

She asked: "Why do they grow them under plastic? Why do people want to eat them all year round?" (I reminded her that she herself had wanted some, then she knew that one!) But she was genuinely a bit puzzled that people would ship fruit and vegetables around the world just so that someone could have 'fresh' produce in a place where it couldn't naturally grow.

We also got into discussing supply and demand, pricing components, overheads and budgeting. This was all mostly news to her and I was surprised that she was so interested, and that - vegetable as I am, today - I could keep her interest for so long.

We've got some planting to do tomorrow. I wonder if she'll remember today's conversation and make any connections.

2 Comments:

Blogger Elaine said...

thats twice today you have made me smile.

1:16 am, February 02, 2008  
Blogger Gill said...

Aw, that's good Elaine! :-)

6:27 am, February 02, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home