Wednesday, January 30, 2008

"I've been working on my social skills,"

... I overheard son number 2 telling son number 1 at the dinner table last night.

I couldn't help pricking up my ears, because it's not something I've heard him admit to in such a straightforward way before.

"You should work on yours. They make a big difference," he went on to advise his brother.

"Yes I might do this evening," answered Tom. "Not sure if I've got time. I've got plenty of charisma though."

"No you haven't. You've got more intelligence than charisma," Ali pronounced.

"I think he can be quite charismatic on a good day," I felt obliged, as Tom's mother, to say in his defence. Then seeing the blank expression on both their faces I thought I'd better balance it up by adding: "You both can."

They looked at each other, as if silently working out whose turn it was to deal with me.

"Mum," said Ali eventually. "We're not talking about life. We're talking about our characters' skills and attributes in Eve Online. It's a game."

And they both give me their look that makes me feel like a dinosaur exhibit in the Natural History Museum.

"Ah. I'll go and get the pudding then."

I know my place.

Looks like quite a good game actually. I'm not into spaceships though: I prefer to have a little avatar. The boys explained later that the avatar is the spaceship, but that somehow doesn't do it for me.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

ROFL. I overhear stuff like that in relation to games too. Last night was a pearler. K2 to S on a networked game "Why are you being a chav?" S "Cos on here I can be and I get to use words I can't normally"

10:12 am, January 30, 2008  
Blogger Gill said...

LOL! I like that one! :-)

I usually can tell the difference between conversations about life and ones about games, but I was absolutely bewildered about that one last night! Totally bizarre, to hear about them working on their social skills. Am still chuckling about it.. which is probably a sure sign of being a sad HEr of teenage children... !

1:54 pm, January 30, 2008  
Blogger emma said...

rofl

Oh, they completely had me, too!

4:05 pm, January 30, 2008  
Blogger Sarah said...

pmsl!!

5:42 pm, January 30, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very funny :lol:

12:24 am, January 31, 2008  
Blogger Beyondmywildest. said...

That is so funny I have to keep coming back to read it again.

2:39 am, February 06, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home