Wednesday, March 19, 2008

AHEd heroes

Some heroic people at AHEd (Action for Home Education) have been diligently issuing individual Freedom of Information requests to find out how Local Authorities responded to the recent consultation on government's Home Education Guidelines to Local Authorities. They've listed the results here. I'm amazed to see that some Local Authorities appear to have mislaid their response, or sent it and not retained a copy! And I'm also amazed that DCSF refused to supply these responses in bulk in response to the FOI request, so they've had to be requested on such a time-consuming individual basis. Never mind, AHEd is collecting the responses anyway and some of them make fascinating reading.

I notice they've also acquired DCSF's statistical analysis of the responses [opens pdf] and made this publicly available too.

I'm so impressed with AHEd - which contains a committed, determined and hard-working group of people who never seem to give up or let up their efforts to stand up for the rights of those families who decide not to opt into the school system in the UK - that I've added an image link to its homepage in my sidebar. I'd be glad to supply the coding for this to anyone who wants it - just send me an email if you do.

5 Comments:

Blogger Elaine said...

I was asked last week by a family who began home edding at Christmas if there were any groups she could join (already member schoolhouse) and I said AHED and sent details. When we met this week she was so impressed by the group she gave it a real thumbs up.

9:01 pm, March 19, 2008  
Blogger Louise said...

Yup,a big thumbs up from me for AHed. They are strong and not afraid to stand up and fight for our rights. I have a lot of faith in them.
ps. please mail me the code!

10:45 pm, March 19, 2008  
Blogger Elaine said...

Just added it to my blogs ,thanks for telling us.

8:48 am, March 20, 2008  
Blogger Carlotta said...

Yup, hooray for AHEd. It is an inspiration.

10:09 am, March 21, 2008  
Blogger Alison said...

Another vote of confidence in AHEd from me too! Schoolhouse has great admiration for all they have achieved in such a short time.

11:14 am, March 21, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home