Monday, February 11, 2008

Addicted

... to Wikipedia.

Does anyone else have their web browser stuffed full of its pages? At least two of my offspring do, so it's not only me. One of them does quite a lot of editing and compiling for it too - a step I haven't taken yet, but might. I am tempted.

I love the linking system. I start reading a page (like this one on Liberalism,) and I can't help but to 'open in background tab' all the other linked articles I want to read. My eyes are too big for my brain and my free time though, because I've always got at least 10x more pages open than I could ever find time to read.

When I do find time to read the other articles, each one spawns at least 10 more background tabs until my whole browser is one long stream of Ws across the top. Sometimes I run out of space and go cold turkey - shut the lot and open a new browser window. That lasts for a couple of days maybe and then, before I know it, something takes me back to Wikipedia again and my browser is full.

There's a message in there for me somewhere. Psychoanalysis by web browsing habits.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

Wikipedia is loved by all here. Me, C and K2 spend hours on it.

10:46 am, February 14, 2008  
Blogger Gill said...

Oh phew! I thought it was just us for a while there. Thanks (((Ruth)))

7:00 am, February 15, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home