Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Preparation

This is what our dining table looks like this evening:



Tom's away on his trip tomorrow, having delayed it due to the dog's death and then a university open day. He's modified his plans a bit and is only going as far as the Lake District now, instead of up to Scotland. I'm quite relieved about that, it being his first solo trip.

Grandad called round with some advice and some precious gifts of Kendal Mint Cake:



and the relevant Wainwright books:



I'm torn between feeling glad I'm not going up there at this time of year, sad that I'm not, pleased that he's doing it and worried about his airy disregard for 'insignificant' things like maps.. mobile phones.. any kind of plans..

He is planning on taking some, but I need to see them being packed, to be quite as relaxed as he appears to be! I'm very glad I've got his room to clean out while he's away. I know he's 18, but it's a funny thing: you don't stop feeling like a parent just because they're 'grown up', do you?

6 Comments:

Blogger Elaine said...

Oh good luck tTom hope you have great time

11:05 pm, September 25, 2007  
Blogger Allie said...

I hope his trip is good. :-)

12:02 am, September 26, 2007  
Blogger Wobblymoo said...

You never stop worrying about them, but you have to let them do it :)

7:25 am, September 26, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be with family in the north-east Lakes in a fortnight's time. Email me (you get access to my email via the comments, don't you?) if you want to give him my mobile number in case he wants a square meal in the vicinity as he passes through :-)

10:31 am, September 27, 2007  
Blogger emma said...

oops. I guess I needed to sign in.

That was me, Emma

10:32 am, September 27, 2007  
Blogger Gill said...

Emma, thanks! You're very kind xx But he's only going for a week, though you'd never believe it, the amount of fuss I've been making ;-)

He left this morning. I'm off to start on his room now.

11:45 am, September 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home