Sunday, January 04, 2009

What's orgo planning, Precious?

Ok, yes, admittedly I've been rereading my tattered old Lord of the Rings books yet again. I'd just rather live in Middle Earth than on this one, sometimes. There were battles and deaths in that story too, but at least it was easy to tell the orcs from the humans there, which makes things psychologically much simpler, don't you think?

But already I digress. So, I've read a few 'orgo planning' posts on home ed blogs this week, and a few other 'what we've got planned for 2009' posts on some other blogs, and on some home ed blogs too. I'm guessing there isn't a lot of difference between the two, apart from in name? "Orgo planning" does sound a bit impressive, I must say. I'm going to have to google it now, though I'm sure I've done so before and forgotten all about it.

Ooh, Jax comes out tops straight away. Well done, Jax! It's now down to you to defend and define this "orgo planning" thing then, single-handedly. No pressure or anything ;-) Merry's in there too, and Deb from a few years ago. In fact, if you put the term in quotation marks, that's pretty much all that is there about it. Is it a made-up concept then, courtesy of UK home educators? It needs a Wikipedia page! Quick!

What does the 'orgo' bit derive from? Organisational? Organic? I've got my dictionary out now.. organdie, organelle, organism, organza. I'll stop there.

It's difficult to think about planning autonomous education, isn't it? I just always plan to provide what's needed, as and when it comes up. I plan to continue being available, 24/7, and interested and engaged with my children's learning.. same old thing, year on year.

The education isn't the same old thing, year on year though of course. It's immensely varied and compelling and exciting. Each day, each minute, each second, each child is unique. And I still live for the eureka moments, when something clicks into place for someone. And the "I want to learn about this" moments, and the questions and the finding of answers.

We could plan some more educational outings, I suppose, though our older ones are a bit too old for that sort of thing, and our little ones are still a bit too young to get much out of most places. The good news is that we've got our weekly HE meeting room back after six months of building work, so we have somewhere warm, dry and communal to meet people instead of houses and parks, which will be nice.

The children are autonomous; the field is not (any more) and so I'm just about to go and do some serious planning for that over there.

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ah, funnily enough this has been discussed with much amusement on brightkite this week. It was a term coined by Mr Portico to (i would say) poke fun in a Mr P sort of a way at the people who liked to start the year with a grand home ed plan.

So erm, ask him ;)

2:27 pm, January 04, 2009  
Blogger Jax Blunt said...

I blogged a response :)

3:13 pm, January 04, 2009  
Blogger Gill said...

Eeh, the things I miss by not micro-blogging. I'm just not sufficiently sociable!

Thanks for your answers xx

3:35 pm, January 04, 2009  
Blogger HelenHaricot said...

yeah, and we liked the term so much, that we honour mr p in its using!
i think it partly depends on how the HE in your household works.
we HE how seems to suit our family well. i think labels are confining and actually not that usefully descriptive - i would bet your autonomous he is not the same as a number of others i know.
i'm not keen on using autonomous for us. though tbh, i think that i provide resources vetted and approved by sb for things she wants to do and then enable her to acheive them. she is a girl born of her parents, so sometimes it is easy to see what she will like, and sometimes a bit hit and miss. but it suits us, and we enjoy what we do. so i say child led, cos then it causes less confusion. but, you know, i really don't care as long as i think we are discharging our primary responsibility to SB as best as we can

6:12 pm, January 04, 2009  
Blogger alison said...

lol, sorry Gill, you fall into the 'lazy bugger' category ;-) Or perhaps not sorry, it means you escape the orgo-planning!

9:30 pm, January 04, 2009  
Blogger Gill said...

LOL! I don't think I believe in laziness. There's a lot of wisdom in non-action. It's energy-efficiency!

I STR writing about that once, but can't find it now, sigh.

6:06 am, January 05, 2009  
Blogger Betula said...

What's brightkite?

8:18 am, January 05, 2009  
Blogger Gill said...

It's a microblogging network, like Twitter. I think Twitter stopped working in the UK or something, so they all switched to Brightkite.

I got bored of microblogging after a few weeks, myself. It didn't do much for me. I've just got too much to say, LOL.

9:26 am, January 05, 2009  
Blogger Tracy Oldfield said...

Well thanks Gill for providing a bunch of links in one place not long before I come along with the intention of rebuilding my blog tab-group...

10:41 pm, January 19, 2009  
Blogger Maire said...

Came across this post while looking for dates for a timeline of the review process, Oh the irony.

10:01 pm, November 20, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home