Thursday, February 28, 2008

Life with little girls

You know you've got little girls in your house when you go to open the fridge and find that someone has fastened a diamante necklace with pink flower decoration to the handle:


















And when you try to open a bolt and find you can't because it's been mysteriously adorned with a miniature pink handbag:















These little surprise discoveries always stop me in my tracks and bring a smile to my face.

As do the games we've been playing recently. We're going through a phase of playing guessing games - sometimes simple (like 'I spy') and sometimes more elaborate ("I'm in a room in a huge mansion and you have to guess which room it is but you can only ask three questions and I can only answer yes or no.")

But my favourite is 'Who am I?' which (sometimes) goes like this:

"Are you on TV?"

"No."

"Are you in a book?"

"No."

"A computer game?"

"Nope."

"Are you human?"

"Erm.... Yes."

"Do I know you in real life?"

"Yes!"

"Oh! Er.. are you female?"

"Yes!"

"Hmmm. Are you in this room?"

"Yes!"

"Are you... me?"

"Oh Mum! How did you work it out so fast?"

We're playing these games so much and so often (at least an hour a day) that I think it must be fulfilling some essential cognitive development function at a five year old's level. Logical processing? Sequential.. something or other? I don't know.

Maybe it's just because they're fun.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lynn said...

I loved those photo's,I thought it was only my house that was decorated with hanging things!!!!
I have a ribbon on my fridge door that has been there for years and It can still rouse a smile when I see it.

8:50 am, February 29, 2008  
Blogger Gill said...

Ah, you too Lynn? :-) It's magical, isn't it? Little physical insights into the workings of their minds.

9:48 am, February 29, 2008  
Blogger Elaine said...

tis fun , pure simple fun

1:18 pm, February 29, 2008  
Blogger Allie said...

We have ribbons and strings all round the house, too. Pearlie spent years making pulleys on the coat pegs and bannisters. Leo dangles plastic animals all round the house. I sometimes wonder if I'll miss all the hanging stuff when they're grown up.

2:08 pm, February 29, 2008  
Blogger Minnie said...

My dd leaves little notes everywhere now. Once she had deschooled and was comfortable with the thought of writing/painting/drawing/speaking without getting criticism she started. One of the little messages left about the house that gives a glow to my heart is a "I love u u no" on my bedroom door:O))

We have dangly, beady, ribbony things all over, even in the garden. We even have plastic dragonflies on the budgie cage!

10:43 pm, February 29, 2008  
Blogger Gill said...

Elaine, it certainly is fun :-)

Allie, I think I'll miss it! I can't imagine a house without children and all the trappings.

Aww Min that's lovely! Brilliant that your DD feels so much better :-)

7:11 am, March 02, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home