Sunday, January 06, 2008

Questions, questions...

1. Does everyone else put the Spandau Ballet music to that title in their minds? I just had to phone a friend to find out which song it was too.

2. Why (and this has been bugging me for weeks) does my RSS feed for some blogs work on some of our PC systems here and not on others? It's not even consistent. It works for some blogs on some PCs and some blogs on others. It seems to be quite random.

3. Why does the baby only want to play with things she's not allowed to have? Especially, right now, my computer mouse? There, I just gave her a spare keyboard - she might be happy with that for a while. She obviously wants to do the things I'm doing. She's got hunter-gathering instincts too. I always forget about this until I have a child this age again, but of course they all do it: going around looking for food. I feel like I'm thwarting her natural development by finding it for her. I perhaps should be leaving it in places where she can find it herself, but then our world becomes very messy and other problems ensue.

OK, next...

4. Why do people want to be persuaded to do things? Or not want to be persuaded to do things, just not want to do them? I'm not explaining this very well, but if it serves everyone to have clean pots on a shelf, why doesn't everyone want to clean the pots? I mean, really why? It's not hard work, is it? Washing a few pots is not difficult.

And the last one:

5. Where on earth do all the wooden bits of our pegboards disappear to? And the magnetic wooden clock numbers? I've searched the house and can't find them.

I have many more questions, but that will do for my home education for today - especially since the baby seems to want to drive my computer mouse again now. Thank you.

9 Comments:

Blogger Daddybean said...

What are you using to read your RSS feeds?

1:31 am, January 07, 2008  
Blogger Gill said...

My Opera browser, same version on all PCs.

I'm wondering it if's because of the shared connection? The router supplies separate IPs though.

Or maybe it's to do with the length of time each one is online or something..

4:07 am, January 07, 2008  
Blogger UmSuhayb b David said...

I wonder sometimes if there's a website that means you can swap/ donate puzzle/ pegboard pieces of incomplete puzzles. It's so frustrating for the children not to have all the pieces, but some can be quite expensive to just bin the whole thing.. Have you tried looking behind the radiators?
Socks escape too

5:06 pm, January 07, 2008  
Blogger Gill said...

Behind the radiators - good idea! Will try there. They've been posted somewhere I think, by little hands!

Such a website would be fabulous. We really neeeed that little wooden triangular, magnetic number 3. It's been gone for years now. It's not coming back. *Cry* Please let me know if you ever find such a site!

6:55 pm, January 07, 2008  
Blogger Augustin Moga said...

RSS reader -- would you consider using a different application?

My suggestion is to switch from a "desktop-based" reader (that is, an application that you installed on your computer; such as the Opera browser or MS Office) to a web-based one (that is, an application implemented as a unit of HTML pages; such as google.com).

I am using Google Reader, which is web-based, and so far I haven't noticed anything wrong with it.

If you want to stick with the Opera Reader you may want to search the web and see if others ran into similar issues. If so, then is probably their (Opera's) problem, not yours.

8:15 pm, January 07, 2008  
Blogger Dani said...

It seems to me that nobody *really* wants to clean the pots but everybody wants them to be clean. The person who ends up cleaning them is the one who is mature enough to make the connection and has no realistic prospect of someone else doing it for them.

12:07 pm, January 08, 2008  
Blogger Gill said...

Thanks Augustin. That sounds like it will be much better - I'll try it.

Dani, yes. Hmmm. This issue makes me think, more than most others. (And that's saying something!)

I've definitely found cleaning and tidying more pleasurable as I've got older. I couldn't really work out how to do it or what needed doing, as a teenager. So yes, I think you're definitely onto something re: maturity. Fits my case anyway.

I wasn't a *lazy* teen - I just had different priorities than I do now, as most teens probably do.

7:08 pm, January 08, 2008  
Blogger Elaine said...

I would seriously suggest getting a bag of play sand and an old baby bath it is something all 3 of mine had at that stage and it kept them happy for hours hiding things etc it is something they are in control off IYKWIM and all easily swept/hoovered up

11:00 pm, January 08, 2008  
Blogger Gill said...

I might well do that Elaine. Then again, are you familiar with AA Milne's poem: "Sand in the ears and the eyes and the nose; sand in the hair; and sand between the toes.." ? And to add Gill's bit: sand in the floorboards and the books and the computers...

On balance I think she'll have to wait for the springtime for her sand and have it in the garden room!

6:26 pm, January 09, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home