Tuesday, October 14, 2008

"Mummy, have you seen a black cape...

"... that I was wearing last night? Just after I was Cat Girl?"

"Um, yes, it's here.."

"Oh good, thanks. I need to wrap this doll in it. Mum?"

"Yes?"

"What does the 'mory' part of Balamory mean?"

"Er... it'll be Scottish for 'town' or something. I'm not sure. Shall we try to find out?"

"No, it's ok. But you know Warcraft?"

"Yes?"

"What does 'war' and 'craft' mean?"

"Well, war is when a lot of people fight against each other, and craft is - hang on. Let's look it up. Right. It's 'a skill or dexterity; a skilled trade; occupation'. So Warcraft is the skill of fighting, I think."

"Ok. Why are the dwarves in Lord of the Rings and Warcraft all Scottish?"

"Errrr! I don't know! Wait a minute... WoW is pretty much based on Tolkien's books I think, so it will be him who decided dwarves should be Scottish and he based most of his work on real, ancient mythologies, so I wonder if the Scottishness of dwarves is based on some ancient myth or something.. let's check online.."

"Ok. What does this say? Where can my character find gold dust?"

"Wait - down there, I think."

Meanwhile, the teenagers are loudly debating the meaning of 'work', and whether everything should be automated. So far I've pointed them at Aldous Huxley, Bob Black and EM Forster's The Machine Stops.

And I did the washing up, and sorted the recycling out, and read 30 emails and read 5 books to the baby and sang about 20 songs with her, including actions.

My head is spinning. I'm sure I was supposed to do something important - oh yes, the shopping order. And it's raining. We're all very happy though.

6 Comments:

Blogger BaronessBlack said...

Fantastic!

2:27 pm, October 14, 2008  
Blogger Gill said...

LOL yes, if a bit befuddling! Quite typical though :-)

6:01 am, October 15, 2008  
Blogger mamacrow said...

wait, did you spend the morning at my house?!

1:58 pm, October 15, 2008  
Blogger Grit said...

wow! what brilliant multitasking - i can do that effectively one day a month ;-)

9:15 pm, October 15, 2008  
Blogger Gill said...

Mamacrow, no mine, but it sounds like yours.. Could be something to do with the five children, LOL.

Grit - I can do it effectively for about 5 minutes, then I need a hot drink and some lungsful of bracing outdoor air.

4:44 am, October 19, 2008  
Blogger Tracy Oldfield said...

The discussion of work, automation etc could include Iain M Banks' 'Culture' novels... we have a few here that could be borrowed...

10:17 pm, October 28, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home