Thursday, May 31, 2007

I am the alpha and the omega. But probably not the beta.

A seemingly 'hot' topic at the moment is the existence and relative merits of so-called alpha and beta mothering.

Alpha mothers are apparently the kind who try to hot-house their children.
"Alpha mums are so determined to make a project out of everything, they are not considering or loving the child, who becomes an object of status or self-glorification for the mother," says Brenda Shoshanna, an author of books on family stress."

Whereas beta mums are "not immune to anxieties and hopes about {their children's] education. But [their] concern is that they find it a thrilling, inspiring experience. [They] certainly don't worry about their future career prospects. Their childhood is too precious."

Well I am immune to anxieties and hopes about my children's education. If Alpha mum puts qualifications before happiness and beta mum puts happiness before qualifications, what kind of mother am I, who puts paper qualifications so far at the bottom of the list, they're not even on it?

I think there needs to be a new category: the omega mother. *Googles this to check nobody got there first.*

Ok, someone got there first. See, if I was alpha, this would bother me.

Oh but I do like to invent new concepts. Must try harder.

Nope, not alpha at all. ;-)

8 Comments:

Blogger Author One said...

Couldnt get past the first line of that article *they too want to raise their kids right*. Mutter, mumble, hackles rising. Right? Right? Whose idea of *right*? Off to brew the kettle and calm down before a second try ;-)

12:36 pm, May 31, 2007  
Blogger Gill said...

*giggle*

Didn't mean to upset you.

Here are some alternative definitions to settle your hackles back down again:

Alpha: totally gullible: hook, line & sinker.

Beta: Still got questioning faculties intact.

Omega: isn't even trying. At anything.

We're probably something else entirely. I dread to think what they'd call us. Suggestions, anyone? ;-)

12:43 pm, May 31, 2007  
Blogger Ruth said...

I am not any of those either. Can't really say what I am tho.

12:56 pm, May 31, 2007  
Blogger 'EF' said...

*groan* I personally suspect that my kid's childhoods are a 'project' for me and that I am waiting to be graded by them at some stage in the future.

But in my heart of hearts I do so think it would be great not to give a toss about the outcome...but just cannot get past the anxiety as yet :) *shrugs*

3:00 pm, May 31, 2007  
Blogger Elaine said...

OK so tell me why you are looking to categorize yourself Gill. This is totally out of character and suggests you have overdone the gardening.
Sorry , just seems such an odd thing for you to say.

6:02 pm, May 31, 2007  
Blogger Gill said...

LOL I think I might be just taking the p*** out of the whole idea actually Elaine ;-)

Though it is interesting, and kind of explains the alien concept to me that is alpha-parenting (a bit).

I dunno. You could take it seriously and start stressing about which category you're in - which as I think the title hints, I wasn't ;-) Or you could take it very seriously and extrapolate from it some deep social commentary.. Or you could just dismiss it as silliness. Probably all equally valid positions to take, depending on what mood you were in!

I don't think I was taking it all that seriously. But I could have done.

9:19 pm, May 31, 2007  
Blogger Elaine said...

I realized you were having a laugh and I really enjoyed it.I was trying to continue on the theme but I never quite pull it off, do I?.

Sad thing is that this re-formed sewage, spewed forth by self proclaimed experts, is digested by people who have the power to impose it's content on us. I suppose that may be the origin of the term talking out of their

11:17 pm, May 31, 2007  
Blogger Gill said...

Sorry Elaine, of course you do xx

Yup, I've definitely overdone the gardening ;-)

11:31 am, June 01, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home