Thursday, October 15, 2009

Desperately seeking transcripts

.. to the Select Committee hearings. I can't find one on Hansard yet and am wishing I'd written one on Monday evening now. Yesterday we were very busy with home ed group activities all day and visitors in the evening, so I didn't get around to watching the day's events in London until late last night. My immediate impression was that most of the home ed witnesses did very well considering the circumstances and the limited time available to them. And what on earth were those charities and other interest groups doing there, with so much time to bend the committee's ear?

Lisa has written her thoughts about some of what they said, I see, and included an updated list of relevant posts by other people. I also enjoyed reading Danae's impassioned response.

But the best news of all coming out of yesterday is that Raquel, Ruth and Tech (amongst others) have been invited to go and talk to the committee on Monday. This gives me hope that the inquiry might not end up being the whitewash that a lot of us first feared it would.

I will do some transcribing if nothing else turns up soon - I've started already. But we're out and about again today and I've got a magazine deadline tomorrow, so I don't know when I'll manage to post anything, itching though I am to get my teeth into some verbatim extracts. At the weekend, maybe.

Does anyone know who else is going on Monday?

13 Comments:

Blogger Gill said...

Have fixed the link to Tech's blog now.

9:38 am, October 15, 2009  
Blogger Gill said...

Also there's extended commentary from Mum6Kids here.

Argh, Barry Sheerman! We're literally 2 fields away from living in his constituency. I was quite tempted to go and camp in it for a while.

9:41 am, October 15, 2009  
Blogger Gill said...

And ooh, a new and fun blog from Mieke just cropped up in my google alerts!

I like that a lot, especially this post.

9:44 am, October 15, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did start transcribing but there is a lot of it and I have a 2yr old. The combination wasn't working! I will try and do a bit more even if only edited highlights.

10:29 am, October 15, 2009  
Blogger Gill said...

Oh, great!

I've got the same problem re: the 2 year old combination.

Maybe we can combine our efforts?

10:32 am, October 15, 2009  
Blogger Merry said...

I'd happily go before the Select Committee with this but i think me and my children would be wrong for it, so i am extremely pleased to hear the ones who are. I'd say that there is room for the child led using structures variably where they suit the child and accessing the wide variety of resources available - but i don't think it would help the cause most under threat. And my kids would find it tough. So am brilliantly and delightfully happy and pleased with the names that have come up. Hopeful for the first time in days :)

11:00 am, October 15, 2009  
Blogger Allie said...

Also very chuffed with the roundtable and the folk who will be going. Good on you all.

I have lots of blog posts in my head but seem to struggle to get them on the blog these days. Busy at home and work.

One of your fabby transcripts would be most welcome. I half re-call someone talking about whether or not 'we' honour our children's right to an education and I'd like to be able to check that out.

Yes, and got to do my consulatation response too...

12:15 pm, October 15, 2009  
Blogger Maire said...

Imran is going. http://maire-staffordshire.blogspot.com/2009/09/why-school-damages-children-by-imran.html

Cate from the Badman group.

12:44 pm, October 15, 2009  
Blogger Allie said...

Yes, I know Imran IRL and that's great. I hope everyone who goes feels free to speak from their hearts and not worry too much about what the rest of us would think/want. I think it is *good* if they get a real range of views from different people. I trust that these are good folk with the children at the centre of their worldview. Hoorah!

1:56 pm, October 15, 2009  
Anonymous Jeremy said...

An "uncorrected" transcript of Monday's session is up now.

3:05 pm, October 15, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just over 11 minutes in transcribing Wed!

3:28 pm, October 15, 2009  
Blogger Shena Deuchars said...

I did contemporaneous notes that I can send to anyone who wants them. They are also on the AHEd, UKHE and DEUT6v7 lists. I guess the official transcript of Wednesday will be up next Monday.

6:05 pm, October 15, 2009  
Blogger Gill said...

Thanks Jeremy :-)

8:33 am, October 16, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home