Friday, March 27, 2009

I just went for a blog walk and ended up at Becta

Oh dear, was it really Tuesday when I last blogged here? Things have been busier than usual I suppose, what with one thing and another. Even now I'm typing in the dining room and I can see through the corner of my eye one son pacing the kitchen floor possibly needing some attention. Blogging feels like having an extra child, sometimes, doesn't it? One that waits its turn perhaps a little more quietly.

I've been looking around at some other blogs today though and I see that this one could very easily make mine redundant anyway, if I wanted to retire. It's so good, we'll even give it a picture link:

www.renegadeparent.net


Lisa has posted a 'myths' series there this week, including:

Myth 1 (Monday): Children today require greater protection
Myth 2 (Tuesday): Education and welfare are inextricably linked
Myth 3 (Wednesday): Home education is school at home
Myth 4 (Thursday): State schooling is fit for the 21st century
Myth 5 (Friday): The state knows better than parents

And, even better..

The plan is to summarise this and send it to Graham Badman as requested in the hope that he will actually read everything.

This is brilliant. I still haven't formulated my 'single side of A4' for him, but am thinking it through in the background while life goes on. I'm glad someone else is getting theirs sorted in a more organised way!

Elsewhere, I got quite a strange feeling to glance at Carlotta's blog this morning and see that she's posted my LA's response to the review! Reading that, I think more meetings with them are definitely in order. We went to meet with them a few years ago, but life took over and we didn't follow up very well. It seems like the time to remedy that is well overdue.

Mamacrow posted Logical Song in response to the lyrics that Sheila posted here. It's a good anthem for us, as is the one they were talking about on AHEd last month.

I also want to mention this post by Lanna at *headdesk*:

headdesk


I really love her use of the term: resource manager! And this:

It’s counter-intuitive to take children away from their most nurturing relationships to be managed by institutions that may be well-intentioned, but ultimately are not invested in children individually or for the long-term. Conversely, it seems intuitive to me as a mother that childhood should be family-centric, with the release of children to other people who can inspire them orchestrated at a pace that will benefit them the most.

Lanna's post was inspired by this news story - about a survey conducted by Becta! Is it just me, or is all this going around in circles? No wait, let's look at the agenda..

Becta calls for uptake of simple technologies to aid three-way dialogue between school, parents and children.

You could just have a dialogue between parents and children and cut out the middle man? Which is the essence of Lanna's post, I think.

If you've emailed me in the past couple of weeks, you're probably still waiting for the reply. I've got lots of replying to do and not all that much spare time these days in which to do it, so please bear with me and accept my apologies. I'll get there eventually.

12 Comments:

Blogger Elaine said...

Marvellous Gill somehow you brightened my mood not sure how but it is lighter and brighter

11:16 pm, March 27, 2009  
Blogger Gill said...

Thanks Elaine. It brightens my mood to hear that I brightened your mood :-)

Hmm, now, shall I darken it again by blogging about this..? Bleurgh.

5:49 am, March 28, 2009  
Blogger Shirl said...

You write a great blog Gill. Followed the link to NASWE: I'm sure they'll all have a wonderful time nailing the diversity of home-edders to the floor.

Have you heard the one about how, possibly, the Dept of Justice would like to incorporate the five outcomes for children into a Bill of Rights and Responsibilities?

http://www.justice.gov.uk/docs/rights-responsibilities.pdf

p46 for the bit about children; but the foreword makes interesting reading too ... ;0)

7:56 am, March 28, 2009  
Blogger Gill said...

No I hadn't seen that Shirl. Thanks for telling me about it.

1:50 pm, March 28, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'single side of A4'

Isn't that just the sort of thing a teacher would ask for...

2:24 pm, March 28, 2009  
Blogger Gill said...

Yes! The very same thought occurred to me too.

2:25 pm, March 28, 2009  
Anonymous Renegade Parent said...

Gill,

Thank you for the very kind words, every time I read your posts and the comments left here I heave a sigh of relief!

I am really quite confused about Becta at the moment, it seems to me that they are pro-technology, but only as narrowly specified by themselves. Which isn't very 21st century...

To add my own song to the mix, today I heard Bye Bye Badman by the Stone Roses le. Never more pertinent! Lisa ;-)

8:57 pm, March 28, 2009  
Anonymous Lanna said...

Thank you very much for the link, Gill. We could certainly do with the fewest number of middlemen--education being done like a game of 'telephone' seems a bit ridiculous, but here we are..*boggles*

1:26 am, March 30, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know a couple of home ed families who don't use computers.They don't want to. What will happen to families like that I wonder.

And I have come to the conclusion that the clash between most home ed families and the Govt will be-or is already to some extent-over how we view our children. We (presumably) see them as persons in their own right with inherent freedoms that goes with personhood.
The Govt sees them as individuals or a group to be shaped and twisted until they are fit for purpose.

5:20 pm, March 30, 2009  
Blogger Gill said...

Lisa,

"It seems to me that they are pro-technology, but only as narrowly specified by themselves. Which isn't very 21st century..."

- is an excellent point.

And call me a dinosaur, but I've never heard that song! Googling now..

Lanna, *boggles* indeed. :-(

Mum6kids, that's a very good question, and there are some strong arguments for not having computers in the home, which I can't see being all that easily over-ridden. In some respects, anti-ICT families will have a bigger fight on their hands than the autonomous families will.

"We (presumably) see them as persons in their own right with inherent freedoms that goes with personhood.
The Govt sees them as individuals or a group to be shaped and twisted until they are fit for purpose."


Yes, this sums it up very well I think.

7:09 pm, March 30, 2009  
Anonymous Sam said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3WkIENVY_M

sums up the mood quite nicely :)

8:59 pm, March 30, 2009  
Blogger Gill said...

Oh wow. So it does, Sam! Thanks for that.

7:56 am, March 31, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home